Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Real-time work for saving our time

Hello everyone!

This week we learnt how to use Google Docs
. I have never used it before and I still have to practice a little bit to learn its different functions. However, I think it can be useful for everyone. Indeed, thanks to it we'll be able to save whatever document we want (.doc, .ppt, .xls, .pdf) simply logging in our Google Docs. The only thing we need is an online computer. I think it's a very useful tool especially for those people that don't work always on the same computer. In the future when I'll work on the University computers I won't be equipped with my USB flash drive (in some places at the University it is even forbidden using it!!). What a relief!

Thanks to Google Docs we can create documents, spreadsheets and presentations. Furthermore, it allows us to create and edit these documents online while collaborating with each other in real-time. I think it is a great tool when you have to work on the same project with people living in different places. During our University career we sometimes had to prepare written group works and the professor usually chose how to divide us in groups. It was difficult to meet all together since every student had their personal commitments or their lectures to attend.

With this tool we avoid this kind of problems and work online sharing real-time work with each other. On the other hand, I think that an overuse of this tool could lead to the disappearance of an important aspect of everyone's social life. I'm talking about getting in touch with people face to face and sharing ideas without an intermediary like Google Docs. However, this is a personal choice! Often we don't even have this choice since we lack time for doing what we have to do...what's sure is that technology makes our lives easier if we know how to properly use it.


If you wish let me know what you think!

Bye bye

Chiara ;-)

4 comments:

  1. Hello Chiara!
    If you want to have an idea about all the different functions that Google Docs offers, have a look at Take a tour (see my blog post): there is a list of all the things you can do with this tool! I agree with you when you say that Google Docs is very useful especially to students like us who have to work in groups. It's so annoying when we have to download a document, work on it and then send it by email to our mates: we always have a million versions of the same document and we don't known which version is the complete one!

    In you blog post I noticed two things, but I'm not completely sure about them:
    * "In the future when I'll work […] I won't be equipped"
    I think we can't use the future tense with when, so you should write "when I work... I won't be e."
    * "Often we don't even have this choice"
    I'm not sure about the collocation of the adverb... What about writing "we often don't even have this choice"?

    See you in class,
    Ilaria.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Chiara!
    Your post and your ideas are always clear. Your style make the reader agreeing with you! It sounds strange, but it happens to me anytime I read your posts about any topic.
    You're right when you say that Google Docs is a useful tool even if not easy enough to be immediately used in an effective way. You're right when you think about the pros and cons of Google Docs and technology in general.
    I hope to know even more about these tools and above all, HOW to use them!

    I need to point out some things you wrote, at this point I always feel unsure :-[
    Well:

    * you wrote "I never used it before". I would use the present perfect here, because you have "before". I don't know if it's a grammar rule, but it sounds me better ;-)
    * you wrote "logging in". I think it is the same, but Prof Guth often uses "logging on".

    Nothing more!
    See you tomorrow
    :-*
    Martina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much for your comments girls! They are very important to me...
    Bye bye

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chiara,
    it was interesting to read your post blog especially as the part on advantages and disadvantages is concerned. There is always another side of the coin! I think it has been said almost everything about feedback.

    See you!
    Bye! Arianna;)

    ReplyDelete