Monday, April 20, 2009

Good characteristics for a well written text


Hello everyone!


I had some difficulties choosing the article I'm going to discuss in this post because I found a lot of different interesting articles on the Web. I used Google Scholar to make my research and, as I said some posts ago, I found it useful for my academic purposes.
The article I chose is titled: "
The Association Between Television Viewing and Irregular Sleep Schedules Among Children Less Than 3 Years Of Age". There are some characteristics that are essential for a well written text. Let's discover what they are answering to some questions about the article I chose.

Who is the text assumed audience? What indications of this do you have? How does this influence how the text is written?
As you can perceive from the title, it deals with a specific subject. And it is written for a specific audience too, in my opinion. I think this because I found the article on the website Pediatrics.org,which is a specialized website. More precisely it is contained in the Official Journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics. Its language is not too much specific with the exception of a paragraph called 'methods' where the 'data source', 'measures' and 'analysis' of the study are shown.

Does it follow the hourglass structure?
The article follows the hourglass structure. Indeed, it presents the argument more widely at the beginning and at the end while in the middle it goes deeper into the specific of the subject.

Is there a logical flow of ideas?
Being well structured, the article presents the main points with a logical flow of ideas too. This Journal article is a large scale argument where each part contains a claim supported by a data. The arguments are linked by however, first, second, third, etc.

Is the text cohesive?
The text is cohesive since the author uses conjuncts in order to present a clear flow of ideas. The main conjuncts used are: however, therefore, although and first, second, third, finally.

Is the writing clear or complex?
The writing of this text is clear. It is short but expresses precisely the main ideas. It is precise too since it doesn't use synonyms for the same term. Each paragraph has one main idea and doesn't contain obscure terms but some few technical terms well known in the field.

Whatever kind of written text should follow these main points. I think that a blog post too should follow all of this points. It should be clear and cohesive because reading something with these characteristics is much more enjoyable by everybody. And it should be logically structured and well organized as well since it is much more easy both writing and reading a well-written text.

That's all for now!
;-) Chiara

Photo Source

2 comments:

  1. Dear Chiara!
    How are you? I read your post and I think you always find out how to manage with difficult issues in the simpler way! I don't think I have the same ability as you, because I am not a very flexible person and therefore it was much more difficult for to find a connection between aspects of an academic article and our creative blog. I agree with you when you say that a blog should also follow logical structure and all aspects about that in ordr to make messages understandable and enjoyable.
    As to you already know we are supposed to provide feedback!So, let's try!I'm not very sure of the structure in the follwing sentences:
    -" Let's discover what they are answering to some questions about the article I chose."- I would say:"By answering to some questions about the article, let's discover what they are"
    -"I think this because I found the article on the website Pediatrics.org that is a specialized website"- I would say, "I think it is because..."
    So far I gave you a very little feedback, but I have some problems in displaying blog comments from my computer. I hope my corrections were ok, you know I'm not a native speaker!
    See you soon!
    Arianna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Chiara!
    (Please, do not consider my previous comment because I made many stupid mistakes, I don't know what's wrong with my computer).
    How are you? I read your post and I think you always find out how to manage with difficult issues in the simplest way! I don't think I have the same ability as you, because I am not a very flexible person and therefore it was much more difficult to find a connection between aspects of an academic article and our creative blog. I agree with you when you say that a blog should also follow logical structure and all aspects in order to make messages understandable and enjoyable.
    As to you already know we are supposed to provide feedback! So,let's try! I'm not very sure of the structure in the following sentences:
    -" Let's discover what they are answering to some questions about the article I chose."- I would say:"By answering to some questions about the article, let's discover what they are"
    -"I think this because I found the article on the website Pediatrics.org that is a specialized website"- I would say, "I think it is because..."
    So far I gave you a very little feedback, but I have some problems in displaying blog comments from my computer. I hope my corrections were ok, you know I'm not a native speaker!
    See you soon!
    Arianna

    ReplyDelete