Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Authoritative or not authoritative, that is the question!

Hello!

This week we talked about authoritative resources. How to decide whether a source is authoritative or not?

It wasn't an easy question to answer for me since I seldom used the Internet for my academic researches. But now that I know all the tools I need to do it I should think a little bit about it.
In class we listed some criteria to decide whether a source is authoritative or not. I never thought about some of these criteria before. The most important that from now on I'll try to remember are: that's a good thing if in the website there is a bibliography or links to other on-line sources and even more good if the information is given by an academic or a researcher.

Using Google blogs, I found out a blog containing authoritative information applying these criteria. I came up with a blog that I saved on del.icio.us. . It is an e-learning blog called "Don't waste your time". It is written by David Hopkins who works in the Business School at Bournemouth University as a Learning Technologist. I think this is the first criteria for an authoritative source: a blog written by a well-qualified person. Then in the blog there is a section called "links/resources" where you can find a list of good websites, resources, articles for an easy access. And this is a good criteria for an authoritative blog as well. There is a bibliography of free eBooks, too. Finally, today I found out that Hopkins is a finalist for the prize EduBlogger 2009. This is a proof of his experience and competence in this field.

I hope to hear from you soon!
;-) Chiara


Photo Source

No comments:

Post a Comment